Dear IEEE Vehicular Technology Society Members,
The IEEE Vehicular Technology Society is closely monitoring developments related to the rapidly evolving COVID-19 pandemic. Please know that our thoughts are with those affected by the COVID-19 outbreak. Health and safety of our members is the outmost priority of our society. The VTS Executive Committee is working diligently with IEEE to define the best course of action that will take local regulations into consideration while ensuring that the hard work of our conference organizers and authors is not underestimated by the impact of this pandemic.
The VTS flagship conference, VTC2020-Spring, will be held 25 – 28 May in Antwerp, Belgium. We are closely monitoring any specific travel advisories through official channels which include the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Belgium government. Please check for updated information that are available on the conference webpage as the situation evolves.
Due to the wide extent of the impact from the Corona Virus, the Vehicular Technology Society will be relaxing its standard requirements for onsite presentation of papers for authors whose travel is adversely affected by the outbreak. In support of all authors, the following will now suffice for assuring paper publication in order of preference:
1) onsite presentation by first author or co-author, or…
2) onsite presentation by a qualified substitute, or…
3) submission of a pre-recorded presentation by first author, or a co-author, or both for authors whose travel is adversely affected by the outbreak.
Please note that it is the intention to be flexible and helpful to everyone during this time of difficulty. VTS is fully supportive of IEEE’s mission statement and we wish everyone success in dealing with any local challenges you may be facing.
Before traveling to the conference, we recommend that you stay informed of any information your local health agencies may make available and take reasonable precautions to protect yourself. IEEE continues to closely monitor this dynamic situation and will provide updates with any developments.
- We are committed to following regional jurisdiction guidelines and rules in maintaining a safe environment for our attendees. The World Health Organization’s (WHO) guidelines are located here.
- We are working closely with the Flanders Convention Center in Antwerp, Belgium and surrounding venues hosting official VTC2020-Spring programming to ensure there are sufficient medical processes in place and sanitation products readily available.
- We are supporting individuals who may be unable to travel to Antwerp from affected regions.
- We will continue to provide timely WHO and other relevant updates to registered attendees throughout the conference as may be needed.
And last but not least, on behalf of IEEE VTS, I wish you and your families well!
IEEE VTS President