I am greatly honored and committed to serve as the President of IEEE Vehicular Technology Society. IEEE VTS serves as the association of reference for mobility professionals’ needs in the areas of life-long learning, standards creation, dissemination of new technologies, and networking. I will work closely with VTS volunteers to enhance services and benefits to our members and to grow the society, via technical and educational activities, exploring the VTS platforms in conferences, publications, standards, and technical committees.
Thanks to the leadership and dedication of many volunteers and staff members, and strong support of our members, IEEE VTS has been successful in engaging the global technical community and in contributing to advances in vehicular technologies in the areas of mobile radio, motor vehicles, and land transportation. In recent years, it has been promoting research and development activities in the fifth generation (5G) and beyond communication systems, in autonomous, connected, and electric vehicles, and in intelligent ground transport infrastructures. Building on the momentum, we will strive to listen to our members for your needs, be creative and work diligently on various existing programs and new initiatives towards a stronger Society. Our focuses include
- developing new approaches to better engage our members in technical activities of interest
- enhancing equity, diversity, and inclusion in our volunteer positions
- growing technical committees in emerging technology areas
- engaging our industrial members in standards development
- providing mentorships to young professionals and promoting education activities such as the VTS Resource Center
- recognizing the achievements of our members and contributions of our volunteers via various avenues including awards and fellowships
- developing cost-effective strategies for more benefits to our members, while maintaining the financial health of the society.
I am excited to work with a strong leadership team in VTS, including Gerhard Bauch (Executive Vice President), JR Cruz (Vice President – Conferences), James Irvine (Vice President – Publications), Neeli Prasad (Vice President - Membership Development), Nick Kirsch (Vice President – Finance), Lin Cai (Vice President - Mobile Radio), David Thurston (Vice President - Land Transportation), Loïc Boulon (Vice President - Motor Vehicles), Oliver Holland (Vice President – Standards), Abbas Jamalipour (Treasurer), and Fabrice Labeau (Secretary).
With the end of the pandemic in sight, I hope that both you and VTS will benefit from more in-person activities via our conferences, Distinguished Lecturer Program, student competition challenges, and so on. I would like to know how VTS can better serve you. Please do not hesitate to contact me for your ideas, suggestions, comments, questions, or concerns. Working hard together, we will make the VTS better and stronger!
I wish you a happy, healthy, and productive new year!